Bair Hugger Infection Lawsuit
Patients around the country have suffered serious injuries due to defective hernia mesh inserts. Hernia mesh is used for hernia repair in surgical procedures, the treatment of surgical wounds, and for chest wall reconstruction. Certain types of hernia mesh have faced increased scrutiny after patients have complained of side effects and serious health complications caused by the mesh.Contact an Experienced Hernia Mesh Lawyer as Soon as Possible
If you or a loved one has suffered internal organ damage, surgical mesh failure, an allergic reaction, or infection, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries. At Arnold & Smith, PLLC, we have the resources and knowledge to take on even the most complicated defective medical device cases. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Defective medical product cases are often extremely complicated. Time is of the essence. Contact us to get started and schedule your free initial case review today.What Is Hernia Mesh?
Hernia mesh is a medical device designed to prevent tissue or an organ from pushing through the wall of the abdomen while also adhering to the damaged area. There are two commonly used types of hernia mesh - absorbable mesh and non-absorbable mesh. Absorbable hernia mesh slowly dissolves and tissue regrows, making the hernia repair naturally. With a non-absorbable hernia mesh, the mesh is a permanent prosthetic that will not dissolve, provided that the hernia mesh is not defective.How do Doctors Treat a Hernia?
Doctors can only repair hernias through surgery. Nonetheless, some doctors might recommend waiting for the hernia and monitoring discomfort and pain along with any other potential complications. When surgery becomes necessary, doctors can recommend two different types of procedures — laparoscopic repair and open repair.
- Open repair hernia surgery: In this type of surgery, surgeons make a large incision near the area of the weak tissue or muscle and repair it.
- Laparoscopic repair hernia surgery: During this procedure, a surgeon makes multiple holes or incisions to the abdomen. They then insert surgical tools to repair the hernia.
It is possible for doctors to do both of these procedures without mesh or with mesh. Surgical mesh procedures often result in better outcomes for patients, especially because there is a reduced risk of a recurrence of the hernia or complications.Complications From Defective Hernia Mesh Products
As of right now, defective hernia mesh products have been linked to serious side effects, including the following:
- Bacterial infection
- Severe groin pain
- Severe abdominal pain
- Seroma (fluid buildup under the skin)
- Skin rash
- Mesh folding
- Mesh fails to adhere to damaged tissue
- Mesh erosion or failure
- Allergic reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Organ perforation
- Bowel obstruction
- Renal failure
- Intestinal fistulas
Several different hernia mesh products have been used to repair hernias throughout the last decades. Reports suggest that certain types of hernia mesh are used for hernia repair but also cause an increased risk to many patients, including the following:
- Atrium C-Qur: The production of this product was permanently halted in 2015, after the FDA issued an official injunction completely stopping the manufacturing of the product
- Bard Ventralex St: This product is a plastic polypropylene hernia mesh that is produced. by C.R. Bard, In. These types of mesh devices have been linked to serious side effects and severe allergic reactions. Unlike the transvaginal mesh product, which is produced using the same substance, there are no FDA warnings regarding using this brand of mesh for hernia repair.
- Ethicon Physiomesh: The company that manufactured this product voluntarily recalled its Physiomesh hernia after several studies showed a higher than normal recurrence rate for corrective surgeries.
In order to recover damages for a defective medical product lawsuit, you will need to prove that the defective hernia mesh caused your injuries. Medical malpractice lawsuits are notoriously complicated. They require extensive discovery and review of your medical records. A skilled lawyer can help you prove that the defective hernia repair caused your injuries.Filing a Hernia Mesh Injury Lawsuit in Charlotte
If you have suffered serious complications after a hernia mesh procedure, our law firm can help you seek compensation for your injuries. We will fight hard to hold the parties responsible accountable for the pain and suffering they have caused you. Contact our Charlotte defective product lawsuit today to schedule your free initial case evaluation with one of our experienced lawyers.