Underride Truck Accident Attorney in Charlotte
In a truck underride accident, a passenger vehicle slides underneath the truck. Trucks are larger and sit higher than passenger vehicles. As a result, smaller passenger vehicles can slide underneath a semi-truck when hit in the front, on the side, or from behind in an accident. The resulting collision is referred to as a truck underride accident. If you have been injured in a truck underride accident, it is essential that you discuss your case with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to determine whether you have a right to compensation.What Causes a Truck Underride Accident?
There are many different ways that an underride truck accident can occur, including the following:
- The truck driver can shift into the adjacent lane on the freeway. When the truck driver fails to see a passenger vehicle, the passenger car has nowhere to go but underneath the truck.
- The truck driver may drift from their lane into oncoming traffic. The passenger vehicle coming in the opposite direction may have a head-on collision with the truck and then slide underneath the truck.
- The truck driver does not leave enough stopping distance for the vehicle in front, causing an underride accident to occur.
- A truck driver may drive below the minimum required speed and create a hazard that results in an underride accident.
- A truck driver may slam on their brakes, causing the passenger vehicles around them to be unable to react in time to avoid an underride accident.
- A parked truck on the side of the road can cause an underride accident when other drivers cannot avoid the truck.
In 2017, a U.S. Senator introduced a bill that would require trucks to install underride guards. These guards would prevent vehicles from sliding under the truck. The bill did not become law, and there are currently very few standards and regulations regarding underride protections in the trucking industry.
Even though lawmakers may be slow to act when it comes to underride guards and safety measures, victims of underride accidents still have rights when they have been injured due to another person's negligence. Victims of underride truck accidents need to show that the defendant or defendant's negligence caused the underride accident that resulted in their injuries. They may be able to recover compensation for their economic and non-economic injuries and hold the at-fault party accountable if they do so.Proving Liability in a Truck Underride Accident
If you have been injured in an underride truck accident in North Carolina, the trucking company may owe you compensation for your injuries. You should work with an attorney to thoroughly investigate the truck accident's cause. The trucking company may not have used an underride guard, or they may have used an ineffective guard. Perhaps the trucking company placed an unsafe vehicle or driver on the road.
There may be more than one party at fault for your injuries. Depending on the facts in your case, the truck manufacturer may also have legal liability. You may also have a legal claim against the negligent driver who caused the underride accident.Bringing a Truck Underride Accident Lawsuit
There are two main ways to recover compensation after being injured in an underride truck accident. First, you can pursue compensation through an insurance settlement. Most commercial truck drivers carry insurance policies that will cover a victim’s injuries. Alternatively, you can seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit against one or more at-fault parties in a civil court in North Carolina.Contact an Experienced Truck Underride Attorney in Charlotte Today
When you have been hurt in a truck underride accident, you need an experienced personal injury attorney who can pursue compensation for damages. You will need to go about making your legal claim in the right way to recover the monetary compensation you deserve for your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
The personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are here to help. We have helped thousands of truck accident victims just like you recover the compensation they deserve. We will aggressively negotiate with the insurance company and pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact Arnold & Smith, PLLC, today to schedule your initial consultation.